Monday, December 21, 2009

Crossword City Names Elin Nordegren "Person of the Year"

The 2009 Person of the Year simply can't be Time Magazine's Ben Bernanke or Frank Rich's Tiger Woods. We choose Tiger's wife, ELIN Nordegren, the new crossword goddess who has taken IRE into uncharted territory. Until recently, an irate person could be described as mad, really mad or hopping mad. But let's say you've just learned of your hubby's mistress count, you grab one of his favorite things (golf club) and start swinging. A new level of "hulking out" has been achieved. You're TIGER'S WIFE MAD.

What's not to like about ELIN Maria Pernilla Nordegren? Consider her poise, her beauty, her silence, her aim. The only criticism seems to revolve around her club choice, that next time she use a driver instead of a three-iron.

On this day--the 96th birthday of the Crossword Puzzle (Arthur Wynne, constructor)--Crossword City names ELIN Nordegren "2009 Person of the Year."  Her first name is cruciverbal perfection.  ELIN joins ELIA, ELIO, ELIS, ELIE, ELIZ--the squad of four-letter grid words beginning with E-L-I.   E?IN, EL?N and ?LIN are also beneficiaries of ELIN The Good.

Solver's Takeaway: Remember ELIN. She's here to stay and joins OONA Chaplin as a famous crossword spouse, also clued in non-spousal terms . . . it's all good.

8 comments:

Joe Krozel said...

Thanks to your insight on ELIN; I think it's safe to say we'll see it as a puzzle entry some day. We're less likely to see ELINS [Tiger's wife's namesakes] and even less likely to see ELINESQUE -- which doesn't even come close to rivaling KAFKAESQUE -- unless, of course, similar events befall other famous couples.

Elizabeth said...

Hello, Joe! Good point. Seeing ELINESQUE in a puzzle would be kind of Kafkaesque. I didn't think of the ELINS possibility . . . those "and namesakes" clues are so tempting...

Nancy S. said...

Well look who's got a new blog! Congratulations and very best wishes for its success!

Elizabeth said...

Hello Nancy! Thanks for stopping in, and Happy New Year wishes to you!

:)

Marc A.A. said...

This is an unabashed fan letter, Ms Gorski. Our local paper here in Vancouver prints the Sunday Times magazine puzzles, delayed by a week .

I am always pleased to see a puzzle penned by you.

Elizabeth said...

Marc,your message made my day. Thank you!!

Vancouver is a stunning, beautiful city and I look forward to the Olympic coverage next month. You must be very proud -- I wish I were there to see it. Thanks for stopping by!

jezzel said...

Hello Elizabeth:
I am pleasantly surprised when I see clues with a Canadian theme. The January 9 Times magazine puzzle had a clue with a two-word answer( I don't like those:) "with 47-Down, Manitoba, Saskatchewan,and Alberta." I get a bit of schadenfreude for those who know nothing about Canada when Canadian clues are given

I get frustrated by clues such as " Section of Queens." I've been to Queens several times but obviously not to the appropriate one.

I also noticed for the first time thatin clues
such as " See 24-Across" Across is capitalized. Is this universal practise in the crossworld?

I am obviously ion a querulous mood precipitated by my impending workout.

Canadian puzzle solvers also face the roadblock of Canadian versus American spelling.

Makes life puzzling and interesting. When's your next one?

Elizabeth said...

Jezzel, anyone who uses "schadenfreude" is okay with me. I confess to being NYC-centric and passionate about NYC. I simply can't help it; it's a condition, an uncontrollable tic.

You're right about the Queens clue; solvers outside of NYC will trip on that one. I try to make the crossings gettable (especially the short words) to make it fair.

Since it's The NYT puzzle, I assume that folks will forgive an occasional localism . . and better yet -- please come visit!

As for NYT style (punctuation, etc.), the NYT puzzle blog, Wordplay, is an official, and very helpful resource.

I'm not sure of my next puzzle's pub date . . . so please stay tuned, and thanks for stopping by!