Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Teddy Bear Confidential

It is NOT a slow news day.  ABC News reports that one in every four men travels with a stuffed animal.

This is news to me because I've never seen a teddy bear in a man's suitcase. And now I know why. 

According to this article, wives and girlfriends are the last ones to know -- the guys are discreet about their cuddly on-the-road creature comforts.

Just think of the wider applications of this practice -- if Tiger Woods had traveled with Mr. Snuggles, perhaps he'd still be married, chugging Gatorade for big bucks, and winning tournaments.

The image of men traveling with stuffed animals is quite touching.  I like it.

Mind you, I know of women who've climbed Mt. Shasta with stuffed animals in their backpacks, and they're totally up front about it. And I have every reason to believe that Casey (a college buddy who's now a pediatric neurosurgeon) still travels with Cousin Flopsie carefully ensconced in her Louis Vuitton Duomo carry-on.

So . . . the difference between genders is not in the practice of traveling with stuffed animals, but in the disclosure of said practice.  

If my math is correct, this means that on a certain weekend next March -- while puzzlers drink, gorge and solve their way into eye-popping exhaustion at venues in New York City -- 49 visiting stuffed animals will be waiting for them in various rooms at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott.

Ah, to be in the arms of Morpheus with Prince Olav the Orca close by . . . Good night, you princes and princesses of Brooklyn Heights, you Kings and Queens of New York County!

12 comments:

Orange said...

Please remind me to ask men at the ACPT if they brought their Mr. Snuggles with them.

Elizabeth said...

Orange, I'd like to see men and women bring their stuffed animals down to the ballroom, during competition. It breaks my heart to think of Mr. Snuggles hanging out in a hotel room all weekend, and missing out on all the fun.

Joon said...

i have not traveled with a teddy bear for a long time, but actually, i have trouble sleeping without a teddy bear to hug. well, i guess that's not actually true--i pretty much never have trouble sleeping. but it's easier with a teddy bear. so maybe i should resume the practice.

when i graduated from college and moved out, i drove the 450 miles from boston to DC with my huge polar bear adam riding shotgun. i got some funny looks from toll collectors, but adam is a really good fellow traveler. sadly, there were no filmmakers around to turn the trip into a hit bromance.

Elizabeth said...

Joon, I love your travelogue! "Adam" (aptly named by a crossword pro) is the ultimate cuddly, bear. I hope to see him in person some day, riding shotgun across the Brooklyn Bridge on ACPT weekend. Road trip!!

Crossword Man said...

Perhaps men with more than one stuffed animal skewed the stats. Let's see, I have Aimee Bear, Kitty Bear (from Henley-on-Thames), 'Nali Bear (from Alaska), Dewey Bear and the musical Schön Bear. Only one gets to travel with me and come down to the ballroom. Thinks ... need to come up with some crossworthy bear apparel ... maybe something with all the answers written on it?

Joanne said...

God that is TOO funny. It makes me wonder how many of the MD/PhD guys at the retreat we just went on brought stuffed animals with them on the cruise. Hmmm.... I need to investigate this.

Anne E said...

I'm fairly sure I'm not going to be able to get this image out of my mind next March! If I burst out laughing in the middle of #5, this is going to be why. Thank you, Liz... or possibly not. :-)

Elizabeth said...

@Crossword Man, we'll put an asterisk after your name, as someone who enhances the stats. I love the bear entourage!

@Joanne, I'm confident that you and your MD/PhD colleagues will find a cure for cancer some day . . . . I'm glad that the program involves some needed R&R, and general revelry at sea. If stuffed animals could talk . . .

@Anne, Mr. Snuggles and Cousin Flopsie will always be there to cheer you on, especially during Puzzle No. 5! :)

Gareth Bain said...

Feeling left out... I don't own any stuffed animals, any suggestions? My car's name is Lizzie so maybe I need to find myself a stuffed lizard! Though that doesn't sound too cuddly!

Elizabeth said...

Gareth, welcome to the fold! I received a wonderful plush stuffed lizard in high school (my nickname then was, you guessed it, Lizard!). Reptiles are a distinguished family of the stuffed animal kingdom.

Here you'll find Toby Turtle and Kojo the Croc:

http://www.plushieseverywhere.com/reptiles.html

And here's cute lizard:

http://www.stuffedark.com/lizardfrill.htm?source=ssdf

D_Blackwell said...

"I'd like to see men and women bring their stuffed animals down to the ballroom, during competition. It breaks my heart to think of Mr. Snuggles hanging out in a hotel room all weekend, and missing out on all the fun."

I agree completely. Lobby for a partners puzzle so that all of the significant others can be a part of the action.

Elizabeth said...

A partners' puzzle -- ah, that's a new concept. We'll see what happens next year . . . thanks for the suggestion!